Join Nicole Walsh for this in depth journey into the anatomical and energetic intelligence in your body, refine your practice, and discover how to use hands-on enhancements and assists to help you and your students find a deeper awareness while practicing asana.
A good foundation in Anatomy is essential for yoga teachers, and helpful for those dedicated yogis who want to have a deeper connection to their own practice.
Our focus is on keeping people safe, preventing injury and dealing with common anatomical and physiological issues that can often be present during yoga practice. We'll tune in to the subtle nuances of human biomechanics through the structural alignment of the musculoskeletal system, and the effect of yoga practice on the body through these key areas:
- The building blocks of Sthira and Sukha - bones, joints, muscles, connective tissue
- Physiology of the moving body - healthy biomechanics of strength, flexibility, stability
- Spine - how we balance stability with mobility for healthy spinal movement
- Lower body - feet, knees, hips, pelvis - how to attain stability, flexibility and healthy range in the lower body joints
- Upper body - hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, shoulders - how to attain stability, flexibility and healthy range in the upper body joints
Building on knowledge of anatomical function, Nicole will guide you through an understanding of the energetic pathways of the body based on the Five Vayus (movements of energy). From this knowledge, you will discover primary alignment actions in yoga asana through personal practice and hands-on assisting. A skilful hands-on assist is an exceptional teaching tool, and can be transformational and empowering to receive, if the approach is sincere, sensitive and respectful.
Build a deeper awareness of yoga asana within your own body, and enjoy transferring this knowledge through a delicious exchange of hands-on assists with your fellow trainees; expand your repertoire and 'yogic toolkit', while gaining confidence whether you are practicing, assisting or teaching.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Energetic and structural alignment - understand movements of energy through the body and how the key actions of any asana can be enhanced by tuning in to these energy pathways
- The energetics of the moving body - understand how bodies are designed to move so that your practice becomes fluid and your assists become a potent teaching tool
- How to take care of yourself in your own practice, and as the teacher - how to centre and stabilize your own body before supporting a student via a hands-on assist
- The principles of assisting and adjusting - how to be clear about your intention, and adjust with clarity and purpose
- How to cultivate trust and connection
- Empathy - being able to give and receive, and when to ask for permission
- How to see people’s bodies rather than just poses - techniques of observation so you know who, when and how to assist
- The magic of touch - learn about different types of touch, how and when to use them
- How to help support, stabilise, awaken and deepen your students’ practice through the different types of touch
COURSE DATES, LOCATION AND LOGISTICS
This course will be held at:
Level 2/137 Devonshire Street
Surry Hills NSW
Wednesday 25th - Sunday 29th November 2020,
Wednesday 9:00am - 5:00pm
Thursday - Friday 7:30am-5:00pm
Saturday - Sunday 8:00am-6:00pm
The course will include morning asana and meditation practice, theory and practical sessions.
Bring a yoga mat, notebook and pen, and an open heart and mind!
Please note that accommodation and meals are not included.
This training is open to those with a 200hr yoga teacher training qualification. If you have not completed 200-hours of yoga teacher training, please get in touch with us to assess your suitability for this course by contacting email@example.com.
This training forms part of InYoga’s 200, 300/350 and 500-hour teacher training pathways through Yoga Australia and Yoga Alliance. Participants who have already completed 200 hours of yoga teacher training will receive a 50 hour certificate for this course.
Please note that this course is 100% face to face, with no further requirement to complete training hours outside of the allotted dates! There will be some homework reading at the end of each day. Practical assessment for certification will be completed on the final day of the course.
Full payment is required at the time of booking
Cancellation and Withdrawal
Withdrawal from single module purchase:
No refund for cancellations within 14 days of course commencing.
Outside of the 14-day no-refund period, cancellations will incur a $150 administration fee. Alternatively, you may transfer to any 50-hour Advanced or Empowered Teacher Training Module within 2 years.
Withdrawal from package module purchase:
No refund for cancellations, however you may transfer to any 50-hour Advanced or Empowered Teacher Training Module within 2 years.
95% attendance is required for a teacher training certificate to be awarded. Students who miss more than 5% of the contact hours will require private tuition at their own cost to make up any missed sessions ($250/hour) in order to receive a certificate.